You should not eat whatever you find delicious when you wear braces on your teeth. Instead, you should be attentive and see which foods are inappropriate for your teeth and braces. Rice cakes are no exception, and you should ask, “Can I eat rice cakes with braces?”
Rice cakes are made from puffed rice pressed into a cake, often known as a low-calorie substitute for bread and crackers. In this article, we will see if eating rice cakes with braces is not problematic. Later, we will discuss the correct procedure to brush our teeth with braces.
No, it would help if you did not eat rice cakes with braces. It is suggested that you avoid eating rice cakes with braces, as the crunchy pieces of rice cakes are prone to bending or breaking your braces.
The risk of damaging your braces is higher during the first few days. Then, your teeth will gradually change, and your skin will stop aching. It is better to eat only soft foods for the initial days, and rice cakes are not among them. Maybe it is better to substitute rice cakes for softer things like waffles.
Although it is not safe to eat rice cakes with braces, you can brush your teeth and braces thoroughly to minimize the bad effects. To do so, you can follow these notes after you eat rice cakes:
- Even if you do not have your toothbrush and toothpaste with you, use some water or mouthwash to clean your mouth after you eat rice cakes.
- Dentists suggest that you brush your teeth for almost two minutes. Despite that, go the extra mile and brush your teeth for at least three minutes.
- Never forget to floss your teeth regularly, though it is sometimes tedious to keep it on track.
- Apart from rice cakes, keep in mind that super sugary and acidic foods are also harmful to your teeth and braces.
- Try to use a soft brush to clean your braces after you eat rice cakes. Tough brushes may damage your teeth and braces.
- Do not forget to brush the surface of your tongue as it can freshen your breath. This way, you can get rid of the bacteria accumulating on your tongue.
- Keep in mind that coconut oil and baking soda mixed with water can be great alternatives to your toothpaste.
- Never miss your appointments with your dentist or orthodontist.
- Last but not least, do not get anxious and stay relaxed to avoid obsessively brushing your teeth and braces.
It is not a good idea to eat rice cakes when you have braces on your teeth. The crunchy pieces in rice cakes are not good for your teeth, as they can suddenly break or bend the braces in your mouth. It would be much better if you could replace rice cakes with something softer, so your teeth and braces are not damaged.
If you still insist on eating rice cakes with braces, then you should brush your teeth after that carefully. You can clean your mouth with some water or mouthwash if you do not have your toothpaste with you, or you can even use coconut oil or baking soda instead of your toothpaste. Also, you need to floss regularly, visit your dentist frequently, use a soft brush to brush your braces, and clean the surface of your tongue in addition to your teeth for maximum cleanness after you eat rice cakes with braces.