There are plenty of dos and don’ts when it comes to food for people with braces. That includes beverages. It is common knowledge that we should avoid soda, but what about sweet tea? Can I drink sweet tea with braces or is it a no-no?
In this article, we will explore the answer to that question and give you some tips on how to enjoy your favorite beverage without causing any damage to your braces.
Can you eat sweet tea with braces?
Yes, you can drink sweet tea with braces without causing any damage to your teeth or brackets. Green and black tea contains fluoride that can help prevent tooth decay. However, there are things to consider.
- You should avoid adding too much sugar to your tea as this can lead to cavities. If you are going to sweeten your tea, we recommend using a natural sweetener like honey.
- Be sure to drink it in moderation. Sweet tea could leave plaques on your teeth if you drink it too often and it can contribute to further dental problems. Try to limit yourself to one cup a day.
- When drinking sweet tea (or any other beverage), we recommend using a drinking straw. This will help keep the liquid from coming in contact with your braces and reduce the risk of staining.
How to clean your teeth with braces
Whether you’ve had too much sweet tea or not, it’s important to clean your teeth after every meal to prevent teeth stains and cavities. Here are some tips on how to clean your teeth with braces:
- Brush your teeth gently in a circular motion instead of back and forth. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles to avoid damaging your gums.
- Floss your teeth carefully and gently every day. Even if sweet tea wouldn’t damage your braces, flossing will help remove any food particles you’ve eaten together with this drink. We recommend using a floss threader to make it easier to get the floss under the wires. You may also use an interdental brush or water flosser to clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Rinse your mouth with water or an alcohol-free mouthwash after meals. It will initially save you from plaque buildup and bad-breath-causing bacteria that may also come from sweet tea.
- Visit your orthodontist regularly to get your braces checked and cleaned. They will know if there’s something wrong with your braces or if you’re doing a great job taking care of them.
Sweet tea is a delicious beverage enjoyed by many people across different countries. And, yes, you can drink sweet tea with braces without causing any damage to your teeth or brackets.
Just be sure to brush and floss regularly, use a straw, and limit yourself to one cup per day.
If you have any questions about what you can eat or drink with braces, be sure to ask your orthodontist during your next visit.
They will be able to give you specific recommendations based on your case.